Monday, June 27, 2011

Here in Colorado

Beautiful Blue skies, a nice breeze, 64 degrees.  I am in heaven.  Perfect weather for hiking and walking.  Today my granddaughter and I are going to spend the day walking all over town, starting with the library, on to city park then lunch.  After lunch it will have warmed up so we will hit the pool.  I may not get the same exercise I would get hiking a mountain but rest assured by the end of the day she will have exhausted me.  My workout today will work many more muscle than just an 8 mile hike does  Ceanna loves to ride on my shoulders, so when she gets tired of walking up she will go.  This is a good workout.  I will find muscles I haven't used lately and wake them up.  She even gets the hand weights out and says "Mema let's lift weights together."

The first week end here there wasn't much diet going on but today the kids are working so easy to stay on it.  The kids are interested in my raw foods and tried some for dinner last night.  They loved them and decided they would begin to incorporate them in their diets.  It is a funny thing about getting ready to walk the Camino, all of a sudden the things we all just talk about like, "I need to get out and walk"  "I need to work out", "I need to eat better", all these just become matter of fact.  Suddenly all the things you keep saying you should do but don't get done get done.  It becomes fun.  As much as many need changes in their lives, this might be a great thing to organize here in America.

Just think about it.  What if it became common in America, as it is in European countries, to take walking pilgrimages.  We have a beautiful country and many of these pilgrimages could be created here.  We do have The A.T., the Pacific Rim, the Continental  Divide and others but we need some that are not quite as rigorous  for beginners.  And they have to become tradition to walk.  It would become part of our society that at some point in life we walk this trail for personal contemplation.  It can be just after college graduation to think about what one wants to do with their life, or in their 30s to rethink the 20s goals, all the way into our 80s and 90s when we look at our life so far and decide what we want with the rest of it.  In Europe they step out of their door and walk to Santiago de Compostella, Spain (the Camino).  Why can't Americans do this?



Buen Camino
b




No comments:

Post a Comment