Friday, July 1, 2011

Good Morning from Colorado

Good Morning World

What a beautiful day in paradise.  Sun shining, slight breeze and only 79 degrees.  Yea!  As I head out to get as much walking in today as I can.  Feet feel good, no  blisters or swelling.  Muscles feel great, went to bed early and got lots of rest so body can heal.  Attitude good.  All the makings of a fine day.

I hope you enjoyed the information yesterday.  I just wanted you to experience some of the first day on the Camino starting from St Jean Pied de Port, France and walking over the Pyrenees.  I am wondering if, by the time I get there, everything will feel a bit familiar.  Regardless, I love looking and reading as it excites me to get out and get into shape so I can make the walk.

I will continue to share more of the Camino and pics as we go along.  I was reading about foot wear today and there is a lot of info out there regarding the Camino.  So far my winner is Keen Targhee.  I will try them out this fall.  That is the great thing about REI.  If they don't work I can return them and get something different.  So much easier than buying several pairs to try.  They do get expensive.  Yea REI!

The other thing I was studying was sleeping bags vs silk sheet bags.  I was already to go with the silk bag but there were several people who mentioned that in the spring and fall they needed more.  I am taking it to mean that these silk sheet bags are made different form what I bought in China when I was studying there.  Their silk is wonderful.  They make these silk blankets that you put in a Duvet cover.  They keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer.  A very interesting thing about silk.  I returned to the states and moved to Flagstaff, Arizona.  They have cold winters with snow and hot summers without air conditioners in apartments.  I was on the third floor.  I had my windows open year round.  I slept with my silk blanket year round and I was cool in the summer (90 degrees in the apartment) and warm in the winter (I never turned on the heat).  BUT, many on the blog thought a light weight sleeping bag would be best.  I guess I will have to do a bit more research to see if Spain and the Camino is just different enough that I will want to do it their way.

Today is the beginning of the 4th of July holiday.  My son in law asked me to make home made sauce.  He says my sauce is the best.  The funny thing is I don't eat meat anymore.  But I will make it for him.  My daughter will make homemade noodles.  This with a salad and some fruit for dessert will make a great meal.  Maybe I will just have the sauce and let it all go for today.

O! yesterday I had lunch at a great place here in FT Collins, Co.  Tasty Harmony.  It is a vegetarian, vegan, raw vegan restaurant.  OOOOO!  LAAA!  LAAA!  So  gooooood.  If you go have the Buddha salad.  Trust me folks even if you are meat eaters this salad is so good even you will like it and there is plenty for any hungry person.  Then if you have room, order the Peanut Butter Pie.  It is to die for.  It is so creamy and luscious that you will savor the taste as you slowly eat it in  ecstasy.  But do hike either before or after as it is a lot of food.

Here is a wonderful view along the trail in Spain:


And then to just keep things in prospective, here is one of the paths I will have to circumnavigate:

Only a few more days here in paradise and then back home to get my house sold.  Anyone want to move to Charlotte, NC.  I have a beautiful home for sale there?

Buen Camino
b

2 comments:

  1. I too am a sexagenarian will will walk the Camino in September and October. Like you, I am trying to define what I will do for the next phase of my life. I am looking forward to the challenge and introspection. For more of my prep, visit my journal at http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=11630

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane

    I would love to know how it all goes for you this Sept and Oct. I am trying to decide whether I will go May/June 2012 or Sept/Oct 2012. So will be interested in if things close early, how cold it is etc.

    I have checked out your journal but have not figured out if I can contact you from it. I will keep reading it as you go. I am excited to follow you.

    If you do get this then please feel free to email me rosetta0229@yahoo.com.

    Buen Camino
    b

    ReplyDelete