Thursday, July 7, 2011

Back from Colorado and feeling human again.

Good Day to all.  What a wonderful day it is.  I am finally back to normal.  Not being a morning person, being up for 2 days and the 4th of July celebration along with traveling I was totally out of commission yesterday.  Exhaustion!  But I am back on top of the world.

You know that Murphy law thing?  Well it seems to have taken over my life regarding summer heat.  It was beautiful in Colorado, before I arrived, then it turned hot, hot , hot.  Now it has cooled down to nice temps and I am back in Charlotte in the heat again.  Is that a song?  Sounds like a country song to me.  Back in the heat again............

I am even more determined to get my house sold.  If anyone out there wants to move to Charlotte I have a beautiful home for sale.

Since I have been out of commission for a couple of days I have not been out walking or doing anything that looked like exercise so today I will share more information about what the walk is like.


This spot on the Camino is called Alto del Perdon, the hill of pardon.  This is a convenient place to stop for a rest and view the cast-iron “cut-out” sculptures of pilgrims on foot and horseback, two donkeys and a dog! The inscription at the site says:  "  donde se cruza el Camino del viento con el de las estrellas " (where the path of the wind crosses that of the stars), a poetic reference to the Camino de Santiago and the Milky Way.  It was created in 1996.   Just imagine hiking along and coming over a knoll and seeing this in the middle of no where.  What a wonderful moment in life.


From here we move on to our end of day activities.

  

Since you only have the clothes on your back and one change in your backpack, washing clothes is a daily occurrence.  Of course you are not the only one in the Refugio/Albergue so the places for drying must be shared.  Rarely is there any form of electric washing machine.  Washing by hand is necessary.  You carry one soap that will wash your clothes, your body and your hair.  For me I am going to cut my hair to about
1 1/2 to 2 " long so I don't have to fool with it.  I have naturally curly or fuzzy hair.  Therefore I need products.  Lots of products.  So the easy way to deal with this is to cut it all off and let it grow back.   Since you have to carry everything you need on your back as you climb all over hill and dale it is advisable that each of us trim down what we carry as much as possible.  They are talking about 10 lbs to 15 lbs only.  I keep reading about people who take more as they are sure they must have it and after 1 to 2 days they are emptying it out and sending it home or giving it away.  I was reading about one lady who cut off 1/2 of her toothbrush to reduce weight.  Now think about this.  If people are trying to lighten their load by cutting off 1/2 of their toothbrush then it must be really serious.  Therefore, I will not take anything that I can live without when I am with others who are living without it as well.  This includes hair, clothes, toilet articles. 

I have decided if you are with hundreds of others who all wearing the same thing everyday then what difference does it make.  I will buy some city clothes at the end in Santiago for traveling around Spain and flying home.  I am sure I will want to throw away the two outfits I wore walking the Camino.   Smile.

Now to unpack, laundry and catching up with mail so I can get out and walk tomorrow.

Buen Camino
b

No comments:

Post a Comment