Sunday, March 16, 2014

And The Training has Begun - D-Day Sept 2015

Today I finally put together my training for the next 18 months.   That does sound like a lot doesn't it.  Well, I take care of 4 kids and have discovered that they  tend to take over my whole life.  I get up at 5:30am and return back home about 6:30 pm.  In the winter it gets dark so early I don't get to go out much.  But wonder of wonders, the time changed, and the sun is out past 6pm.  Yea!

So today I headed out for a good long walk.  I am getting over a chest cold that has left me still coughing up goo .  Yup that favorite part of a chest cold.  The walk was designed to clean me out as much as possible.  I discovered that I really got behind being in-door bound for 3 months.

I walked for 4.7 miles with a backpack.  The trip home was a push.  I just put one foot in front of the other till I reached my apartment.  The trip out was a bit easier and I was thinking about starting my new routine, getting the old excel sheet going to keep track of my walks and my food.  I use Strava to keep track of my hikes/walks.  It is great.  I am thinking of using it when I walk across Spain, if they have it in their files.

Half way out I stopped and had coffee, bagel and read from one of my current books.  I am reading everything I find about hiking.  Those books written by the hikers about their experiences.  Right now I am reading a book on the PCT (Pacific Coast Trail).  This is my second book about the trail.  Neither has swayed me to have any interest in walking it.  Interesting but definitely a trail for a masochist.  At least in my opinion.

I  first read about the Appalachian Trail (AT) a couple years ago.  It was the story of two sisters that walked it barefoot.  Yes I did say barefoot.  The books were called "Northbound" and "Southbound"  The Barefoot Walkers.  Both good reads and actually started a slight desire to walk it, if I had a very knowledgeable hiker with me to show me the ropes.

I find these books informational and intriguing.  I feel like this reading is preparing me for my walk.  Not that they are at all the same but in the fact that I read about their preps and daily activities and how they deal with difficulties.  Of course, they all take place in a country where they speak the language.  Nothing yet about what it is like to be in a country where I don't speak the language.  I must learn Spanish.

So, I now have my excel sheet started.  I have my training schedule typed in and started the details with today's food and today's exercise.  I found a training schedule on line.  It was designed for a 3 month train but I worked it out for the 18 months.  The first four weeks I will be doing until July of this year.  Then the next month will be for the rest of this year.  The last month will take me through to summer of 2015.  The summer of 2015 will be doing the last two weeks of the schedule.  By then I should be in great shape and much smaller.

Therefore, I am  back writing here.  I will find more pics to share and tell you all about the wonderful aches and pains of working out.

Thanks for reading.  It gives me a sense of friends that are sharing this with me as all the people I know think I am crazy and do not care to talk about this.  Hummmmm

Next Saturday 3/22 I will get to meet my first pilgrinos.   I am going to a special meeting of a Denver chapter of Camino Walkers.  The ones walking this year will go through a ceremony and receive their first Pilgrims Passport.  Just think, next year I will be one of the ones getting the Passport.  Yea!

Buen Camino
b


No comments:

Post a Comment